As many U.S. Embassies are closed today because of what the U.S. Government calls ‘terrorist chatter’, I can’t help but wonder what’s behind these alleged threats.
Let me recap what’s going on. The U.S. State Department intercepted messages among senior al Qaeda operatives in the last several days that forced authorities and consulates Sunday across the Middle East and North Africa. Much of their attention is in the country of Yemen, where U.S. drone strikes killed a half-dozen or so radical Islamists.
The question many people are asking is, why? Why are radical Muslims planning attacks on Western governments. Why can’t they just live in peace with everyone? Why is it that they have to do these evil things?
Some Muslims say, “don’t lump us with radical Islam. Islam is a peaceful religion.” In looking at that statement, I have to look at facts.
1. There have been thousands of attacks on innocent people in the last decade alone that have been attributed to Muslims who claim they are doing it in the name of Allah.
2. Islam is the only religion that kills people when they leave Islam. Muhammad set the example for this.
3. Islam teaches that non-Muslims are less than human. It’s also taught that Muslims could be put to death for murder, but never put to death for killing a non-Muslim.
4. The Qur’an is absent of Allah’s love for non-Muslims, but speaks of hatred for them instead.
5. Islamic leaders have dressed women and even children in suicide bombing belts to attack innocent people.
6. Muslims are killing innocent people for comics and videos that depict Muhammad in a negative light. They also strike out against innocent people when the Qur’an is desecrated.
There are many who claim Christianity is just as evil. My question to them is, “when was the last time you heard someone attacking innocent people in the name of Christ?”
This post isn’t designed to hate Muslims. On the contrary. It’s designed to point out the truth, but then take it a step further — to LOVE them? Why?
The passage of Scripture that comes to mind is what Jesus said in Matthew 5:43-44, “You have heard that it was said,”You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.” While many people stop there, Jesus goes on to say in verse 47, “If you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than other? Do not even the Gentiles to the same?” If Christians do what is ‘unnatural’ many will notice — including those who mean to harm us.
By Loving our enemies we have a platform to share our faith, and they’ll listen. Let me give you an example. After 9-11 terror attack on the United States, many Muslims were afraid. It would have been a great time to reach out to them in love. How? By simply inviting them into our homes for coffee or a meal. This is cultural. There are many Christians in the western world who don’t even know a Muslim. If they do, they know very little about them. Love give us an opportunity to find out about them, learn their culture, with sharing the same with them.
At Mission Network News, our desire is to talk about ministries that may motivate Christians to get involved. Many Christians are sleep-walking today. They’re walking through life with their eyes closed, not even looking for opportunities to share their faith. We want to change that.
That’s why we’re having a Wake Me Up Summer promotion. It’s inspired by a song for Josh Wilson’s new Carry Me CD. The song is called, Wake Me Up. During the month of August MNN is encouraging you to wake up and do something intentional when it comes to sharing your faith.
We’re also asking you to support the work of Mission Network News with a generous donation. As you do, you’re helping MNN tell even more stories that will wake up Christians around the world — waking them up to do something intentional regarding their faith. When you do, I’ll send you the new Josh Wilson CD.
If you want more information on the Wake Me Up Summer promotion, watch this video.
To donate to the MNN Wake Me Up Summer campaign, click here.