Skip to content
News Around the World
Published on 05 November, 2007

International Adoption in Ethiopia “Very Easy”

Ethiopia (MNN) — In Ethiopia, children abandoned by the death of their parents to HIV/AIDS are forced to beg on the streets to survive–some as young as two years old.

"They live on the street because they have no one to take care of them," said Getahun Tesema of Buckner International

Buckner expanded their Ethiopian adoption ministry three months ago to include international adoption. In a country where Christians face severe persecution, Evangelical Christians account for about 20 percent of the population while Muslims and Ethiopian Orthodox make up the other 80 percent.

Getahun is very excited for international adoption. "The child will find a family who can help them," said Tesema, "especially American parents or families who want to adopt–very good families, Christian families also. 

"We believe that children need a dedicated Christian family to know Jesus, and ultimately we wish them to find Jesus Christ."

There are currently 11 children registered in the adoption program, but Buckner is prepared for growth. "We already built a new building for adoption children who are abandoned
and found from the streets. We're going to put them in that shelter and baby home for a while. And when we get families from the U.S. we send them to here," said Tesema. 

Tesema emphasizes a large benefit of adopting form Ethiopia. "The  process is very easy. It's not like any other country. Ethiopia is, I would say, the best place to adopt children when it comes to processing. It takes two months to finalize
everything." The process will also be very low-cost.

Families are needed to pioneer this program.

Add Your Comment (Get a Gravatar)

Get a Gravatar! Your Name

Your email address will not be published..

Today's Audio:

Download:

About Ethiopia

  • Primary Language: Amharic
  • Primary Religion: Christianity
  • Evangelical: 19.6%
More News About Ethiopia
Info About Ethiopia
Data from the Joshua Project
Phone: 1-800-442-4800
Alt Phone: 1-214-758-8000
Fax: 1-214-758-8155
Web site

Buckner International700 N Pearl St - Suite 1200
Dallas, TX
75201

Call to action

Related News

Featured Mission Group

  • One Way Forward
  • One Way Forward