Former orphans reach out to help others in Ukraine.

By November 29, 2006

Ukraine (MNN)–In Ukraine, there are more than 100,000 orphans. An estimated 10 percent are orphaned due to the death of a parent and the other 90 percent are because of socio-economic problems such as alcoholism, abandonment, or imprisonment of parents or guardians.

Orphan’s Promise is a unique program of Operation Blessing International working to promote the well-being of orphans and vulnerable children around the world.

An international group of young adults recently spent 12 days working as camp counselors at a Life Skills Camp for children from five orphanages across Ukraine.

Among the 24 volunteers, three were former Ukrainian orphans. The camp is sponsored by Operation Blessing International and Ukraine Ministries of Oklahoma.

Through the relationships built with Christian counselors, it exposes kids to the Gospel. So far, more than 2,000 children have attended summer camps since the program’s inception in 2000.

Says one counselor, “I have seen children’s views on life change as they develop a relationship with us. We are helping these kids have a (good) childhood.”

Click here if you want to help sponsor a child for camp.

Leave a Reply