GFA missionary tells his harrowing persecution story

By December 8, 2008

India (MNN) — Last week Mission Network News told you about the mirculous escape of a Gospel for Asia missionary in Madhya Pradesh. For the first time since he was kidnapped and beaten on November 24, GFA missionary N. Chauhan is telling his story — in his own words — about the harrowing ordeal and his miraculous escape.

Chauhan was on outreach ministry in Madhya Pradesh, India, when he was kidnapped by a mob of about 40 anti-Christian extremists.

"On November 24 at 11 a.m., while I was going for outreach ministry in a village 20 kilometers (12 miles) from my home, a group of young people belonging to an extremist group stopped me. They asked me several questions, such as what was I doing and where was I going. Then they opened my bag and found Gospel literature and teaching CDs.

"The extremists started to beat me. They took my bicycle, mobile phone and two thousand rupees (US$40). They forcefully took me on their bike to a remote village, where around 200 people had gathered, and they made me sit in the middle of the crowd. They asked me several questions and told me to read Hindu literature, leave the Christian faith and worship one of their gods. I said "No," so they started to beat me again.

"Then the crowd called for their leader. They took me to a small hut and locked me inside. They kept me locked up from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m.

"During that time, I was praying to the living God. I remembered the verse where Jesus said, ‘In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.' Through this Bible verse, I got courage to face any problem.

"When they took me out of the room at 8:00 p.m., I was very hungry and cold. They took me to a road to meet the extremist leader. But I was thinking and looking for some way to escape. So I told them I needed to use the bathroom, and they let me walk into the forest. I walked a little ways and then started to run. Some started to chase me and loudly told the others that I was running away, and so many people ran after me.

"I don't know from where I got such power to run. The mob even took their jeep and bike to catch me, but as I was running through paddy fields, they couldn't catch me. I even fell in a small well, but God helped me to get out. And again I started to run through the forest.

"Up until midnight, I was sitting in the forest. My whole body was in severe pain, but God gave me strength to walk 12 kilometers (7.5 miles) through the forest without fear. I found a village where I know a Christian family.

"Around 3 a.m., I reached their house and told them what had happened to me. They gave me a place to sleep and kept me there for two days, until I went to another village and got some medicine. On November 27, I safely reached a GFA district office. Now I am in the office resting, but I still have pain in my chest and legs.

"I thank God that He has saved my life. I also want to give thanks to all those who sincerely prayed for me. Kindly keep remembering me in your prayers."

Continue to pray for the thousands of GFA workers that are sharing the Gospel no matter what the cost.

If you'd like to support a GFA worker, click here.

Leave a Reply